Friday, July 31, 2009

Yesterday

(July 30th, Day 49 of 112)

Ok, so first I must apologise to Anonymous for not updating my blog yesterday. Next I have to break into a jig because now I know I have at least one reader who keeps check! Yay.

That done, I now know how jail inmates feel, locked up in a cell with nothing to do all day. No, getting arrested was not why I didn’t update my blog yesterday. I felt this empathy towards jailbirds because I spent the entire day yesterday doing more or less nothing. Since my computer was not hooked to the internet, it was like a living being without a soul. Just an empty shell really (this is the dramatic side of me). I was so bored that I was reduced to reading books on my computer – something I’m principally opposed to. I mean, it’s not a book if you can’t turn pages, insert fun bookmarks or take to the bathroom to read!

Now reading books on the computer wasn’t the worst thing I was doing (!!!). It was what I was reading – the Twilight Series – Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I started reading Twilight in Bombay out of sheer curiosity (Robert Pattinson and hot vampires taking up all of Hollywood’s energies made me a teeny bit like George) just to see what the hype was all about. Now as much as vampires fascinate me, the whole god-like description of Edward and the utter bimbo-ish behaviour of Bella was a bit tiring. Also I think Stephanie Meyer has an excellent publicist. It’s also a series designed keeping in mind hormone riddled teenage girls.

Why did I continue reading these books? Well, the option was between watching mind numbingly annoying TV soaps with my grandmother or Bella’s equally annoying whining, I chose lesser of the two evils. Also Edward has some redeeming qualities and there was now a werewolf (!) in the story.

So this is what I did yesterday - fed on a teenage romantic triangle between a vampire, a human and a werewolf. This was followed by an overnight train journey, the most striking bit of which was the smell. But then since my seat was right next to the door (which people insisted on going back and forth through all the time) and the concept of clean toilets is alien in our country it’s hardly surprising right?

This is my excuse for not posting something yesterday – mythical creatures and holding my breath for extended periods of time.

2 comments:

jhayu said...

Hey! You have a laptop. Technically, you can 'take [it] to the bathroom to read'.

And heh, what if you combined this with that train journey? =p

Avantika A. said...

That is exactly what the Fellow also says. But i've tried it, and its definitely not as comfortable...not to speak of highly cumbersome! :P

And the combination? Shudder.