Monday, July 13, 2009

Something Old, Something New

(12th July, Day 31 of 112)

I had my first game of poker today. From knowing only the spelling of this extremely popular card game to being able to hold my own quite well in the midst of experienced players, I’ve come pretty far in the last 5 hours or so. This makes me happy. I tried something new and I didn’t suck!

What made the whole poker experience more fun (and not as distressing or embarrassing as I thought it might be) was the fact that I was amongst old friends, some of whom I’ve known since we were 6 yrs old. And so the cards and chips were just so much friendlier with inside jokes, gossip that’s been doing the rounds since we were in school, new gossip that no one else who wasn’t in school with us would be bothered with, and just the knowledge that we’ve quite literally known each other forever and so losing – badly at that – at a poker game, wasn’t quite so terrible as it could have been.

And so something new and something old together made for one of the more fun and laughter filled evenings I’ve had in a long time. Cheers to that. And all the fake money I made!

4 comments:

jhayu said...

Wait, if you lost badly, how did you make all that fake money?

Avantika A. said...

I didnt lose. The friend who taught me did. He only needed to be reminded that i know of more embarrassing details from his past and losing to a novice at poker is not the worst!!
*wicked laugh*

Russell said...

hey, really loved reading your posts... esp the one on "mumbai rains"... Congrats on your newly married status.
Cheers
Russell

Avantika A. said...

@Russell: Thank you :) and Thank you :)