Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Darcy and the Monsoon

(Day 33 of 112)

It’s been raining non-stop now for nearly 21 hours. It hasn’t let up even once. And it’s not the romantic kind of drizzle (which after 21 hours would also be annoying) but is the heavy duty torrential kind which Bombay is (in)famous for.

The cautious, the experienced, the paranoid and the simply lazy have probably stayed home today rather than face the wrath of the rain gods. People like my dad simply took advantage of the empty (albeit very wet) roads and went to work. And now that the roads around my house are looking like Venice without the gondolas, it’s going to give my dad another excuse to stay at work – or buy a new, big car which would be able to get through all that water without spluttering to a stop.

Where do I fit in this very wet picture? Well, I did have some minor plans of finishing work I’ve been postponing for some weeks now. But the rains made me postpone them again today. Not that I’m complaining. I get to stay dry and warm and not have to wade through a foot of water to get to the other side of the road. I also get to curl up with a good book and chocolate biscuits. And the only thing that made this rainy day better was Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy on television. Watching him dive into that lake even made me smile at the water logging around my house.

So now I know that even faced with floods, a torrential downpour, cancelling of all plans and just a depressing dampness and dankness all around, I can smile. Just give me a wet Mr. Darcy. Oh yeah.

2 comments:

A-Jester said...

Here is some bit of gyan from the weather forecast too its gonna rain like this for another two days

Avantika A. said...

Dang! Its time to bring out Mr. Darcy again! And maybe some deep fried comfort foods!