Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Different Chinese

(Day 40 of 112)

I love Chinese food. Give it to me night and day and I’m happy. Of course this also means that I’m very choosy about where I eat Chinese food and prefer going only to my favourite restaurants.

And then there are days like today where I’m in the mood for something more local. Like Indian Chinese. This is our take on the neighbours’ food. We took their rice, noodles and soya and made it completely our own.

So we have our desi Manchurian and even more desi Paneer chilli which make awesome combinations with fried rice (which is re-ally fried) and haka noodles (with peas and beetroot sliced very fine). Not for Indian Chinese are Chinese greens and tofu and shitake mushrooms. No siree. We’re happy with our paneer and cauliflower and lots of garlic. And the soya of course.

But for all it’s deviation from the authentic, Indian Chinese is here to stay. No fancy restaurants and chopsticks are going to make Indian Chinese obsolete. Too many people love it. And for people like me, it has nostalgic value, making it the kind of food I crave when I’m missing friends and am in need of food for the soul. Much like the local pizza (complete with large amounts of tomato ketchup and grated Amul cheese) found wherever you get Indian Chinese.

The nostalgia and in your face non-chinese flavours are what make Indian Chinese the best. Ok maybe not as good as a masala sandwich or dahi-puri but definitely as much fun.

No comments: