Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wimp

(Day 20 of 112)

Earlier this evening I went to my aunt’s house for dinner. Now since it is the monsoon season and the roads are a big pile of sludge and rain water, I decided to take that handy three-wheeler we like to call rickshaws.

As I entered my aunt’s lane I started marvelling at how wonderful the newly repaired road was looking. Suddenly my reverie was interrupted (quite rudely and loudly I must add) by this street dog who apparently took a liking to the (a) rickshaw I was in, (b) the rickshaw driver or (c) me.

Now usually when a street dog decides to chase a passing car/vehicle, it will give up after a few metres and lie in wait for the next one. But the mongrel who decided to follow my mode of conveyance was not content with a few sharp barks registering protest at entering his territory. No siree. He followed us, barking loudly all the way, right till we stopped at the building gates. And then he came and stuck his head into the rickshaw, effectively stopping me from getting out.

Forgetting that I love dogs and am not scared of them, I took pride and stuffed it down my hand bag and called out to the building watchman (who thankfully has known me since I was a kid and can be quite protective) to call the dog away.

A minute later I was running into the building compound and trying to forget the look the dog gave me as I passed him on my 50mt dash – a look that said just one thing. Wimp.

No comments: