Sunday, July 26, 2009

One Knot and Two Friends

(25th July, Day 44 of 112)

Yesterday was one of the more interesting Saturdays I’ve had in a long time. To begin with, a wardrobe dysfunction had me testing my will power and more. Then there was a train ride which I enjoyed more I than imagined I would (the heat and people stepping on my feet included). I missed the local train when I left Bombay you see.

Anywho, a cab ride followed taking us to a familiar place through totally unfamiliar roads (much to our delight). This city just has to be loved I tell you. On reaching our happy place (read: favouritest shopping area) we prioritised. We went in search of a shop to repair my wardrobe dysfunction. And when we found the one shop which would supply us with what we needed, we left the old man behind the counter totally bemused (and a little more cheerful I think. We spread joy. Yay).

Having given my will power a break, and then satisfied our hunger pangs (ah!), we went hunting. Starting from one end of the shopping mile (to do the whole thing systematically you know), we went all the way to the end. And back. And then we did the same thing again. Three times. On the way we stopped and checked out earrings, bags, tee shirts, pants, more earrings and even some watches. Oh and there was the footwear shopping which was almost half of our shopping trip. So there was me with my kolhapuri chappals and indecisiveness about what to get (finally buying both pairs I liked. Eh. I’m not going to be in Bombay for several months now, so might as well indulge right?). And then there was the friend who spent a good amount of time figuring out what sized floaters were right for her- much to the exasperation of the sales-guy and the other friend and me. Finally, and after checking other shoe stores as well, we went back to the first store, flirted with the sales guy and made a purchase.

There was only one thing left to make this day complete – a mad dash to the station and rushing to get to a train to take us across town in time to catch a movie scheduled to begin in about an hour. Sounds impossible? Nah. This is Bombay baby! All is possible if only you’re prepared to get into a super-crowded local train and get out while it’s running.

Ah the joys of this city.

Ps: When I say wardrobe dysfunction, I mean dysfunction. Please to note and not confuse with malfunction. That’s best left to fashion shows and anorexic models.

No comments: