Sunday, September 13, 2009

Radiation

(Day 94 of 112)

I’m done with complaining about the cold. It’s time to crib about the heat – or at least mention the unfortunate way in which my body is protesting against this dry heat oven I’ve put it in.

An hour or so after getting home, unpacking goodies, stuffing my face with rajma-chawal and calling various people and letting them know I’m back (wee-hoo), I stopped to collapse, down about a liter of water and pour another half on my head. The refreshing, cool water flowing down my face felt really good. But in about 30 seconds my face was totally dry. Like a sun-dried tomato. In fact apart from the wrinkles, that’s how I was looking – bright red.

This sudden shift from mountain chill to desert heat is making my face as red as a tomato/Rudolph’s nose and/or a monkey’s face. People standing next to me can literally feel the heat radiating from my face. I’m going about the house with a napkin soaked in cold water swathed around my head and neck, only to find the napkin heating up and my face seeming a fresher and brighter red!

Additionally my grandmother has been giving me weird looks all evening as I sat watching TV from behind my cold cloth cover. She also kept telling me to go switch on the aircon in the other room and stop groaning like I was dying.

Me thinks she was just trying to reign supreme on the remote control. Meanwhile the dying…uh…groaning continues. As does the heat. Sigh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohh so ur back to land of camels and mirchi vada...

Hopefully will hear more about those 'bidi-jalayle' parties... :)

Anonymous said...

regards
vivek
http://allthecrap.wordpress.com/

Avantika A. said...

Shudder. Never again. Not for all the love of this blog!! hehe

Avantika A. said...

@PK: I knew you would say that. I just knew it. I knew it while i was typing the post out. You're supremely predictable.

Pranav said...

That makes you a masochist.....
oooh.....

Avantika A. said...

@PK: and you're a perv. Go away