Monday, September 14, 2009

Bills and Banging My Head

(Day 95 of 112)

The post title says it all. I come back home after a month and all I’m faced with are stupid phone bills. Stupid, because they don’t make any sense. I mean I’m sure they make sense, but since it’s all in Hindi, and I don’t understand all the technical words they use (I’m honest enough to mention this very shameful fact), all I see are random numbers which differ vastly from the total printed at the bottom of the sheet (yes yes I know about taxes. It’s just that here the taxes seem to be more than the actual amount owed!)

So all day today I was trying to make sense of the bills and figure out what broadband plan we have (to know how much the bill should really be), talking to the uncle to check whether payments had been made in my absence and repeatedly calling the Fellow and getting things explained slowly, as befitting my slightly neurotic, thus, stubborn brain.

This last bit was really important, mainly for my pride. You see I plan on going and confronting the phone people on the morrow and I don’t want to sound ignorant with half baked knowledge. I like to be fully prepared when going in for the offense, especially when I’m doing it alone (yay for brave me).

Of course chances are that all my preparation and guaranteed to make you wither speeches all come to nothing. After all it’s a little difficult to make an impression when no one understands what you’re saying and you end up struggling to find words in the right language. The overall effect is a lot like banging your head against a wall.

I knew I should have spent more time watching Doordarshan. Damn cable television.

2 comments:

Pranav said...

ka kha ga gha something something something.....

Avantika A. said...

something something something? tsk tsk. yeh to tauheen hai matr bhasha ki!! hahaha i do know some hindi!! :D