Friday, September 4, 2009

The Nose Always Knows

(Day 85 of 112)

A few days back I vented here about my hyper-allergic immune system. I also complained about how, when the immune system decides to kick into high gear and react to itself quite literally, it gets very difficult to have a nose.

However today I was proud. Proud of my nose and all that it does.

What does it do? Apart from making me want to rub it off my face in an attempt to stop the itching, my nose responds brilliantly (albeit a little too aggressively for me) to changes in the weather. And so, be it changes in the cold, heat or rain, I’m off on a sneezing bout accompanied by crazy itching.

So why was I proud of this organ which, if it had been the medieval ages, would have sent me straight to the burning stake? Because for the last three days my nose has been working overtime (and usually I would whine about it, but I have a point to make here). And while everyone around me was sure that I’m too weak and city-bred to handle the cold, I kept explaining that it was due to changes in the weather blah blah blah. Obviously no one believed me. Thought the cold had frozen my brain cells or something.

Then today brought validation for my hyper-allergic soul and my unfortunately afflicted nose. Apparently it snowed in the higher altitudes yesterday. Obviously the weather had been getting colder and changing for a few days right? In fact even the locals agreed that there was a chill in the air today and brought out the warm clothes.

And all I could do (while everyone discussed the snow and change in weather) was look exceedingly smug and pat my nose on its back.

As I pointed out to the MIL, the nose, always knows.

5 comments:

Pranav said...

if only your nose could pick stocks

Avantika A. said...

I would have to insure it for more than JLo's butt then...:P

Anonymous said...

pat your nose on it's back.. ?

somehow, that draws up images of a grossly convoluted body in which the nose actually has a back and the hand can apparently reach and pat it appropriately without crushing the tiny organ..

but maybe it's just me. i was always weak in bio. might have missed a few lectures on female anatomy somewhere..

Pranav said...

Arayans,
Its Avantika's nose. You learn to recognize its backside very fast out of self defense.
You definitely dont want to be anywhere near the front side ..or as the rest of the world calls it , "in the firing range"

Avantika A. said...

@Arayans: lol. it doesnt matter how it is done, as long as good work is appreciated!

@PK: Stop maligning me fool