Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Of Being Horrified

(Day 89 of 112)
Recently I had one of those wtf moments that just need to be written about. Of course considering the cause of my shock, the use of wtf is highly inappropriate and not all the done thing. But I’m getting ahead of myself here.
The story begins about 4 years back when I was a young, carefree and slightly geeky student, more interested in my next sandwich than anything else. And while I was concentrating on higher education (and junk food), friends were getting married right left and centre (not that I was complaining. After all I got free food and the chance to party). Anyhoo, not content with getting married, the same friends started families soon after, and before I had completed my Masters, most of them had babies (And here I was complaining about homework)!
One of those babies I happened to meet when she was about a month (or less) old. A tiny being, bundled up in layers and absolutely gorgeous she was. And as these things happen, that was the only time I met her. Recently I got in touch with my friend again and asked about how the baby was doing; conveniently forgetting that she wasn’t likely to remain the tiny infant forever. And so, I wasn’t prepared for what came next – a grown up baby. I simply couldn’t place this young, confident looking girl with the bundle that smelled like Johnson’s baby soap. All I could come up with when looking at the photo was "are you serious?” “are you really serious?Where did the time go? It was just yesterday that I was bent over cootchy-cooing a month old baby and today she’s a miniature adult who talks the ears off her mother (or so she complains).
Here I was feeling all good about being in the youth of life and all that jazz and then I was shocked into silence (rare for me). People my age are parents to children who do more than eat, sleep and poop. While I’m pining away (drama adds spice to my life so please bear with me) for the Fellow here, and spending my time doodling and napping, classmates are taking their children to school, attending parent-teacher meetings and generally being all responsible and adult-like.
Just thinking about it is sending shivers down my spine. Oh the horror.

PS: I wanted to put pictures up but my ethical soul wouldn't agree to it without getting permission from my friend. But as that would take at least a day and i absolutely had to express my horror i'm going to have to do some editing later.

7 comments:

Pranav said...

is that a wrinkle i see ?

Avantika A. said...

Hardyharharhar

Anonymous said...

So family planning is next on agenda...as you don wanna be left out...??.. :P

regards
allthecrap

Avantika A. said...

Is no one sensing the horror here? Does horror seem to go together with a wish to breed? Shudder. I love birth control!! lol

Pranav said...

i wonder which is the bigger horror.......

"tick..tock...tick...tock"
....

or

"tick .. tock....WAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Avantika A. said...

Thats it PK. You get bombed now

Pranav said...

You know....im not certain if you actually got the joke....
(Mostly because if you did, the bombing would not have remained a mere threat)