Monday, September 28, 2009

Dry Roasted

(Day 109 of 112)

Important lessons learnt today –

  1. Never park your car where there is no shade from the sun.
  2. Never get into a car that has been standing where there is no shade from the sun.
  3. If you do have to get into aforementioned car, try not to get into contact with the leather seats (note: don’t have leather seats).
  4. If you do all the above three, be smart – don’t touch the steering wheel, gear stick and/or the handbrake. Just sit there willing the air conditioning to kick in before you reach your destination looking like you’ve just spent an hour in a sauna!
  5. And most importantly, and for this I blame the Fellow - never, ever, ever, have a black car if you’re going to be living in camel-land.

Obviously, I’ve been through this for me to be ranting about it here. In fact, I have to emphasise that the actual experience was about a hundred times worse than it seems. Kind of like going to the dentist – the actual experience is so much worse than what you imagine it to be!

The 15 mins that I spent in my car today was as close to hot, burning hell as I’ll ever be, before popping it for good (I really don’t have any delusions about not going to hell. Too many friends will be there!). The very act of sitting in the drivers seat made me shudder and go ‘ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch’ (the word most used in the next few minutes. Well, actually, second most used. The first is too inappropriate for here). And then there was the super-heated steering wheel and gear stick!! I quite literally had to use my fingertips to steer and change gears because the rest of my hand felt like it was blistering!

And don’t even get me started on the airconditioning! It was non-existent. By the time the car cooled down enough for me to stop cursing, I had reached my destination (I miss Bombay at times like these really). And even then, the first thing I did was to mop my face up and get the sweat out of my eyes. The next, to shake my fist at the black car and the universe.

But I’m guessing, that 15 mins in that sauna of a car must have resulted in at least a kilo of weight loss. Bring on the ice cream I say. And a can of white car paint.

4 comments:

Pranav said...

Unless you come in a jar ..with a nut with a monocle on the label...you arent dry roasted...

you are merely a hard boiled egg....
.
.
that said.....leather seats, sweaty driver....they make the most amusing sounds.....

Avantika A. said...

Actually i was more like a tomato. Another 15 mins and i would have been a sun dried one.

jhayu said...

Ice-cream and a can of white paint.

A whole world of possibilities just opened up before me.

Avantika A. said...

@Jhayu: Boys! *grin*