Sunday, August 23, 2009

We Are Apple People…

(Day 73 of 112)

…apple broth runs through our veins.

This is what the Fellow says every time he sees this fruit (along with telling me it’s sacrilege for me to be seen buying apples and that I’ll be a joke to be told everywhere if he got the word around). I can’t buy apples without the Fellow breaking into drama and dialogue, and while I simply roll my eyes and continue with my purchase, everyone around us stops to listen and get entertained. And if you thought this nautanki stops with buying apples, think again. I have to listen to this proclamation every time I eat the fruit in question.

However I am now beginning to understand why the Fellow breaks into speech at the mere sight of an apple. You see, the Fellow’s family has apple orchards. This means that the one fruit that you will always find at home is, well, apples. And right now it happens to be harvest time for apples so everywhere there is apple talk. Conversation around me is all about how the harvest is, about picking, sorting, grading, packing, selling etc. And if the talking wasn’t enough, there is also an inflow of apples, fresh from the orchard, which the MIL insists I must eat to feed my deprived city soul.

Now I finally understand why the Fellow can’t stand eating or even buying apples. He quite literally does have apple broth running through his veins.

4 comments:

Pranav said...

So in this case "an apple a day might keep the doctor away", but will ensure that you need to visit the shrink?

aaah.....conundrums ..conundrums...which do you choose...
mental health, or physical well being....

Avantika A. said...

Well, since mental health was already a lost cause one would imagine i would concentrate on the physical well being right?

Pranav said...

Its all about the physical with you isnt it?

Avantika A. said...

Ok. This is it. You're not allowed to leave any more comments on this blog now! :P