Friday, August 21, 2009

Of Brown Paper Bags and Kolhapuri Chappals

(Day 71 of 112)

Is there any city in this country that loves brown paper bags as much as this place? While big cities preach themselves silly with the say no to plastic cause, its only after coming here that I saw the actual practice. And so it doesn’t matter if you buy medicines, vegetables, books or even piping hot momos. You come back armed with brown paper bags, the kind that don’t tear and can be reused. So for now, I’m a brown paper bag convert. In your face plastic bags.

Now, though I was busy waxing eloquent about brown paper bags, I had time to learn an important lesson today– kolhapuri chappals are not the best thing to walk uphill (or downhill) in. In fact so unsuitable are they that I was in constant fear of doing a replay of a nursery rhyme and entertaining the countryside with my rolling act. This fear, of course, did nothing to improve the grip of my footwear on those treacherous slopes. And so while the in-laws all but jogged down to the car, I played the clichéd city-bred chica to perfection. Sigh.

But then I guess I prefer having a label to having a bruised bottom.

3 comments:

Pranav said...

yes, no bruised bottoms till day 113

Pranav said...

Odd thing is.....when they come to the city, we complain about how slowly they walk :)

Avantika A. said...

Hmph. I'm going to have to start censoring you now!

And since 'they' wasnt here this evening it doesnt count! :P