Monday, July 7, 2008

That Question From Hell

Everybody is interested in what everybody else is doing. This is an established fact of the human race from time immemorial. But just because Adam and Eve did it does not make it endearing or even tolerable.

Over the last month, I have had to exercise such control that it’s gotten me to breaking point. In fact I’d really like to break the next person who asks me (with that annoyingly smug and polite look plastered on) what I’m doing now. These days when I get that query I try and get away with a polite he he he and a quick change of topic. And yet after half an hour of inane and convoluted discussions about the weather, politics, movies and food, I’m back to struggling with “so aaj kal kya kar rahi ho?”

At this point it should be mentioned that I’m doing nothing. I’m in a voluntary unemployed state of existence owing to certain life situations. Of course, living at home with a TV in my room, wi-fi, and regular availability of food does help me with choosing not to be an active part of the Indian economy (of course the pay I get/got/will get is ridiculous enough not be of any help to the economy…it barely helps/helped/will help me).

This, now, will help you understand better my obvious and slightly maniacal reaction to a supposedly innocent question. Of course, that it is not innocent is understood. Having grown up in a Marwari home, one knows very well what morning/afternoon and evening chat fests between aunties comprises of – complaining about respective kaamwalis, the annoying sister-in-law, the ever present guests, the dinner menu, and a detailed discussion about everybody they know…and their children.

My up in arms response to the what are you doing now query is an attempt not to provide content for excited discussions: “haan, woh avantika hai na, haan, aaj kal kuch nahi kar rahi hai. Haan ghar par hi rehti hai pure din. Pata nahi kyun. Itni padhai ka kya fyada hua ….”
Uff. Kashtam.

But where there is a will there is a way. Having realised that there is no way out, and that Marwari aunties are as determined and resolute as Rakhi Sawant, I figured out a way to get around the infernal question. Choose your pick if you may:
a) Freelancing
b) Between things right now
c) Just got back from vacation
d) Jetlagged

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

b)