Thursday, July 3, 2008

Clothes Maketh the Size


For the last decade or so, I have been the unwilling target of several subtle (and even more not so subtle) hints and nudges to come down a size or two (or even three). I trained myself to ignore the above and continued existing happily. That is, till I realised that the Indian clothes market was being taken over by the sizes that didn’t allow you the luxury of that extra bulge and that special curve! In sheer desperation I had to drop a few kilos simply to be able to pick up clothes that would fit me (and not make me look like someone I would comment on)!

Then recently I visited the US of A. A place that made me (mostly) feel healthy and normal sized. I will always have special memories of shopping there and having to look for smaller sizes!! The clothes there seemed to understand the need to hide certain unflattering contours and enhance certain lines. They also seemed to get that being big doesn’t make you unworthy of style and shape. And I have to confess, I took a certain gleeful pride in rummaging through the piles of clothes and discarding everything with an L and more (XL, XXL, XXXL etc).

Anywho, my point here was that I can never take such sadistic pride here in India. The clothes available (or unavailable) do not allow me that luxury. And grudgingly I am glad about that because laziness, good food (read: carb loaded, fat soaked, sugar spiked) and availability of clothes matching your ever expanding size are a lethal combination. One of the many reasons I am glad I don’t live in the US. But then again, that is another story.

No comments: