Friday, July 25, 2008

Hot Pakodas On A Rainy Day


When it rains, it pours. And when it pours, everyone is thankful for and prays for different things. The farmer prays and hopes for a better crop this year round, the restaurant owner prays and hopes the rains don’t affect his clientele, the student prays it rains hard enough to have an unscheduled holiday, the head of the BMC prays the city doesn’t flood, commuters pray that it stops raining for a few minutes till they get where they have to. The lover hopes that the roads are clear and he can go meet the woman he loves. And me, I pray for a plate of hot, fresh pakodas!

I love rains. From inside my house, standing at the window, with the cool breeze whipping my hair around, I absolutely love the rains. I love them even more when I’m all warm and dry and its pouring cats and dogs outside. But for me, the best way to enjoy rains (and doesn’t matter if you’re wet or dry), is with a plateful of hot pakodas, fresh from the oil. Nothing beats the smell of frying pakodas mingled with the sound of the rain coming down hard. With the first rains, you can find that mouth watering aroma wafting up from every kitchen window in the area and can picture happy families crowding around the yummy treats and fighting for the biggest pakoda in the pile!

No comments: