Saturday, July 5, 2008

Telly Woes

So I’m in front of the television channel surfing looking for something reasonably sensible to watch (I can’t hope for anything intelligent anymore really). I zoom through the hindi channels with my brain faintly registering words such as bahu, saas, mata, beti, sasural…and cringing.

I move onto movie channels. The less said the better. It being the weekend, a happy joint family saga is bound to be on with the regular band of characters: an adopted son, ungrateful children whom the mother wonders why she had, weeping fathers, a 5 star house, the faithful manservant (making eyes at the doodhwali), the family pet who happens to be the most intelligent member of the cast, a bad story and even worse songs.

English movie channels. Oh well, they probably assume that our choice in movies is pretty bad (based on the aforementioned) and so we’re reduced to watching Snakes on a Plane and the like! Why o why?!

The other channels (including news) are all devoted to reality shows. I was so bored that I made a list of everything they have made reality shows on:

Fashion designing
Interior designing
Construction
Car/Bike making
Tattooing
Hair styling
Singing
Dancing
Singing and dancing
Acting
Comedy
Film making
Cooking
Learning to cook
Living together in one house
Modelling
Learning what clothes to wear
Travelling
Surviving the wild (supposedly)
Living somebody else’s life
Etc.

I’m sure anybody reading this can add a few more.

Sigh.

No comments: