Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It Had To Happen...

(Written: 22nd June 09, Day 11 of 112)

Coming back to Bombay after almost 6 months away has been a riot of emotions and feelings. On the one hand there was an almost child-like excitement and nervousness about going back home, wondering how much would have changed and whether anything had remained the same. On the other hand there was the feeling that I’m leaving something behind, something that is more real to me now.

That something is the new life I’ve created for myself. The people I know, the experiences I’ve had, the places I go to, the roads I drive on. This life is what I share with the Fellow and of which my parents, sister, friends and neighbours have no part of. They may hear of it from me. But it’s probably as real to them as a movie.

For me though, it’s a life I have to go back to. Something I’m in fact looking forward to. As much as I may complain about the banality of the people and the never ending round of parties, I’m now a part of it all (maybe not as banal though) as much they’re all a part of my life. These are the people amongst whom I’ve found some nice friends, these are the friends who are testimony to my first attempts at setting up house and being married, these are the people the Fellow works with and these are the people him and I gossip about and laugh at (silently) at all those parties.

So as much as I missed Bombay when I was away (apparent in my cravings for pav-bhaji, bhel and vada-pav as well as reminiscences of fighting my way into Alpha and the local trains), now that I’m here, I feel the pull of all the little rootlets I now have someplace else.

And as much as I fought it, it had to happen.

No comments: