Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Carrot

(Day 12 of 112)

One of the things the Fellow seems to enjoy doing a lot is playing around with different operating systems. So he switches between Windows XP and Vista, trying to figure which one he likes best. Apparently that would be Linux. How do I know? I’m a captive audience who has no choice but to listen to the Fellow waxing eloquent about how cool it is.

But this is all the past. Lately the new love of the Fellow’s life is Windows 7. Having installed it right before he left for his training course, I only heard about it a few days back when talking to the Fellow on the phone. To summarise the conversation (a long one at that), I was given to understand that Windows 7 is the best Windows operating systems to be released in recent times, it is super cool, awesome, and soooo good. The Fellow also told me he was so happy with it that he hasn’t used any other OS for several days now (!!!).

Even though an operating system doesn’t do much for me, the very palpable joy and excitement in the Fellow’s voice made me smile. And so, in order to be a part of this moment, I told the Fellow that once he comes back, he can install Windows 7 on my laptop so that I can also partake of the awesomeness and coolness.

You would think the Fellow would be happy at the thought of me finally wanting to try new things. But you would be wrong.

F: No no. You stick with your Windows Vista.

Me: But you said it’s nowhere as good as Windows 7.

F: No no. It’s good for you. Don’t get Windows 7.

Me: Arre. But you were just drooling over how cool it is. Why can’t I get it?

F: Because it comes with a warning that install it only if you’re experienced and willing to format your computer whenever it crashes.

Me: Oh. So has your computer crashed so far?

F: No. But they have to give the warning so they don’t get sued.

Me: So no crashes na? So why can’t I get Windows 7?

F: Because it might crash. There is always the possibility.

Me: But you’ll be there to fix it for me.

F: Silence.

Here we have ladies and gentlemen, the proverbial carrot. Now I only wonder who the donkey is.

No comments: