Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sugar Sugar

The Fellow is very fond of nimbu-paani, and in all my wifely excitement I made a lot of it yesterday, which, happily for me, he really enjoyed (and I haven’t been married long enough that such a simple thing does not thrill me).  

Today when getting dinner together the Fellow mentioned he wouldn’t mind some more of the nimbu-paani. And so with a grin I started getting everything together. I squeezed the lemons and measured the water. Then I went in search of the sugar (since I knew that I’d emptied the sugar tin the day before). But after looking everywhere I could have kept (and I remembered keeping) the sugar packet, I finally asked the Fellow if he had seen it. “Ah yes, it got over when you were in Jaipur.”

Hmmm. And what about telling me? “I forgot na!”

Oh well. Nothing to it. Will make nimbu-paani tomorrow.  

If only it were that simple.

Not an hour later, the door bell rang - the Fellow’s colleagues looking for a nightcap. And what do they want? Cold coffee. So I gather the milk, ice, coffee and blender. What’s missing I think. Of course. Sugar.

So there I was standing in the kitchen wondering whether to go to the neighbours for the clichéd cup of sugar, when I suddenly remembered some powdered sugar I had somewhere. Digging it out I saw that it was just about enough for the 3 glasses of coffee I had to make.

7 minutes later, I took 3 frothing glasses of cold coffee out to the living room (wondering what I would have done if more than 3 glasses had to be made).

 Lesson No 1 in housekeeping: Always check the pantry when you come back to your home and the Fellow after a vacation.

 Lesson No 2: Keep a hidden stash of sugar which the Fellow doesn’t know of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gawd, i love this !

Avantika A. said...

lol. :D Ty.