Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do It Now

In one of the last classes he took, Fr. Berkie told us (not for the first time) that over the years students have not liked how he has treated them, how he has graded them, assessed them. He told us how these students would not even talk to him or acknowledge him because they thought he was unfair. He said that it is all that negative energy over the years that has probably caused all these health problems for him. He sounded disillusioned and defeated at times like these. He would aften tell us that he should shut the course because no one appreciated the effort he put in.

I remember thinking then that i would come back after the course to meet him.
I remember thinking then that i want to thank him for everything he has taught me.
I remember thinking that when i would come to collect my diploma from him i would tell the next batch not to get too bullied by Father.
I remember thinking that even though he was in excrutiating pain he was coming to class for us and that he should be appreciated for that.

Today im thinking that i should have done these things when i thought them.

I missed out on so many opportunities of telling Father that he was not unappreciated.
Of telling him that even though we might appear fed up, we were glad he was there and telling us off.
Of thanking him.

Over the last week, apart from realising what a big part Fr. Berkie was of my life in the present, i've realised that anything i want to do, i should do it now. To use a cliche which rings true in this contexr, time and tide wait for none.

No comments: